Designing a dream kitchen island for your home needs to accommodate a few simple rules: space for cooking, dining and inviting enough for family and friends to gather. There are many different styles and shapes you can work with to create your desired aesthetic. It needs to flow with the design of the rest of your home and fit within the context of your kitchen. If you have a smaller kitchen, perhaps it can still accommodate a small island.
You may need to hire a professional such as a custom cabinet designer to help you design your dream kitchen island. There are also lots of countertop materials and custom paint colors you can select from to create a unique design style that is all your own. Have a look below for some fabulous inspiration to help get you started! Be sure to let us know in the comments which kitchen island is your favorite and why.
Have a look at some past inspiring kitchen features we have presented here on 1 Kindesign: 30+ Brilliant kitchen island ideas that make a statement and 65 Most fascinating kitchen islands with intriguing layouts.
1. This is a Cape Cod style kitchen, emulating the calm and peaceful atmosphere of the waterfront. A central U-shaped island is the major attraction. It gives an impression of grandeur and invites you to sit down on the large built-in bench. (via Ateliers Jacob Cuisine & Espace)
2. White oak cabinetry compliments oiled oak flooring in this stunning kitchen. Vintage industrial pendant lights helps to bathe the island with light. Four bar stools offers plenty of space for guests to get comfortable. (via Betty Burgess Design)
3. An expansive dark blue wainscoted kitchen island is topped with a gray quartzite countertop. The island is complimented by four naugahyde and metal Chi Bar Stools by Nuevo (source). The island is illuminated by three Darlana Medium Lanterns in gilded iron (source), suspended from a white plank ceiling. (via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles)
4. A once brown and gold kitchen was transformed into a light and bright space. Highlights includes a new Macabus White quartzite countertop, Ann Sacks Savoy Mosaics herringbone tile backsplash and a Blanco Silgranit sink. The designer added upper cabinets on top of the existing ones, bringing it all the way up to the ceiling. This creates a cohesive aesthetic. She selected clear glass Kichler Everly Pendants, which helps to not have a visual barrier in the space.
The barstools were custom designed, upholstered in a wipeable vinyl and indoor/outdoor fabric—adding durability… very family-friendly. Paint colors: The island and existing hood are Sherwin Williams-Mindful Gray and the cabinetry is Sherwin Williams-Alabaster. The two tones helps to add visual contrast. Be sure to see all the details with before and after pictures, it is stunning… click the designer link! (via Aston Design Studio)
5. The island cabinets are by Shiloh Cabinetry and the color is Dovetail Gray with no glaze was added. The perimeter cabinets are the same brand, but painted in the color “Polar”. The island countertop material is a 3cm polished super white marble. The hardware on the island is the Contemporary Metal Handle Pull by Richelieu.
Illuminating the island is the “Large Hicks Pendant” from Circa Lighting. The Cadence French Black Bar Stools were sourced from Arhaus. The wall paint color is Sherwin Williams-Believable Buff SW 6120. The artwork in the dining area is the Morris Cranes I and II—source. (via Renewal Design-Build)
6. This expansive kitchen island in Minnesota measures in at 8’6 x 4’6. The countertop material is a honed crema marfil marble. The beveled arabesque backsplash tile can be found here. The fabulous light fixtures above the island are the Mr. Brown Paris Lantern. They are hand finished by artisans! The counter stools were sourced from Restoration Hardware. (via Revision LLC)
7. A Toronto, Canada home features this lovely traditional style kitchen. The expansive island dimensions are 4′ x 10′, while the kitchen itself measures in at 20′ x 11′. The countertop material used in the design is statuario marble. The perimeter counters are Caeserstone in the color Raven. The island posts are finished in a walnut stained oak. The custom cabinets are painted in Benjamin Moore’s Simply White OC-117. Illuminating the island is the Benson Pendants from Restoration Hardware. (via Palmerston Design Consultants)
8. A kitchen in Minnesota is the heart of the home, offering roughly 296 square feet of living space. The diameter of the circle part of the island is 49″ with a pedestal base. This offers a nice extension from the island as a cozy dining area. The narrow portion of the island measure 33″ deep and 66″ long to the start of the radius. The island countertop is soapstone, while the perimeter is granite. (via The Woodshop of Avon)
9. The almost 10-foot long island is ideal for food prep, casual dining, using as a buffet, or enjoying a glass of wine with friends. The honed white Carrara marble countertops are 2.5” thick, giving a clean, elegant aesthetic. The island features Brookhaven cabinets, in their Designer Series. The 7″ pendant lights hovering over the island were sourced from Restoration Hardware. Additional highlights includes a subway tile backsplash and wall paint by Farrow & Ball in the color Skimming Stone. (via Michael Robert Construction)
10. An Atlanta, Georgia home features this stunning kitchen designed by Margaux Interiors. The island has a simple front, but features X’s on either side for a unique aesthetic. White Carrara marble graces the countertops and backsplash, complimenting the gray island. The barstools were sourced from Bernhardt. The ceiling pendants over the island are the Goodman Large Hanging Lamps by designer Thomas O’Brien—Circa Lighting. (via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles)
11. An L-shaped kitchen in a home in Illinois features an expansive island that can seat up to five people. It includes a prep sink and microwave. Quartzite countertops are set over a gray island, providing a nice contrast to the dark wood flooring. The Everly clear glass pendant lights are by Kichler Lighting. A subway tile backsplash completes the aesthetic. The kitchen is 19 1/2 feet by 21 feet and the island is 46″ x 119″. (via The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn)
12. A shingle style waterfront home in Greenwich, Connecticut features this traditional kitchen. The island color is Farrow & Ball’s Down Pipe. The perimeter cabinets are painted in Benjamin Moore’s White Dove. The countertops are Calacatta marble. The pendant light fixtures above the island are from Urban Electric Company. The island dimensions are 6’-6” x 8’-6”. The ceiling is constructed with Nantucket MDF beadboard. (via Douglas VanderHorn Architects)
13. The kitchen island of this Minnesota home is illuminated by Elise pendant lights sourced from Elk Lighting (source). The island cabinetry is a custom-mixed color. However, a close match is Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black SW 6258. The countertop is Carrara Marble. The island dimensions are 3’x9’ x 5’x4′, and the kitchen is approximately 16’W X 20’D. (via Martha O’Hara Interiors)
14. The 18″ pendant lights above the island were sourced from Muska Lighting. The cabinets are alder, in a custom gray brown stain with glaze. The bar stools were sourced from Ballard Designs. The backsplash and the flooring is a gray limestone from Italy. (via Hendel Homes)
15. A home in Santa Barbara, California features this beautiful kitchen. The countertops are honed absolute black granite. The island dimensions is 4′ wide x 10′ long. The pendant lights suspended over the island are the “Industrial Factory Light” by Go Home Ltd (16″x18″). The backsplash is Carrara marble subway tile. Beautiful engineered French Oak flooring completes the aesthetic. (via Neumann Mendro Andrulaitis Architects)
16. A fresh yet traditional approach was infused into this beautiful update to a Georgia home by designer Lauren DeLoach. The kitchen showcases a limed-oak island with a Carrara marble countertop. Pewter hardware keeps the aesthetic classic. Completing the look, the striking pendant lights over the island. The Lorford Smoke Bell Lanterns are by designer E. F. Chapman—Circa Lighting. (via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles)
17. A modern Cape Cod style kitchen features a stunning traditional design. The island is painted in Benjamin Moore’s Brewster Gray. The perimeter cabinets are painted in Benjamin Moore’s 925 Ivory White. The countertops are Millennium Cream Granite. The wall color is Designer Gray by Hirshfields. (via Hendel Homes)
18. A kitchen in Georgia features a spacious island measuring at 8′ x 4′. The cabinet color is Sherwin Williams Creamy. The island countertop is a solid walnut with a clear wax coating. Illuminating the island is the Metropolitan Zaragoza Pendant—Source. (via Keystone Millworks)
19. This rustic yet elegant family kitchen in Birmingham, Alabama is spacious enough to make gourmet meals. (via Structures Homes)
20. The wood on the island is an end grain walnut in a checkerboard pattern, offering a warmth to the kitchen. Integrated into the countertop island is a bar sink in a bronze color with a hammered finish. The pull-out baskets with slides were sourced from Rev-a-shelf. Illuminating the island is the Farmhouse Oiled Bronze Pendant Light sourced from Elk Lighting. (via Insignia Kitchen and Bath Design Studio)
21. The paint color used on the island of this Minnesota home is Benjamin Moore Van Deusen Blue HC-156. The countertop is Calcutta Gold Marble. The perimeter cabinets were painted in Benjamin Moore White Dove OC-17. The backsplash tiles are 3″ x 6″ Sonoma Square Edge in Super White. A pair of Darlana Small Lanterns illuminates the island—Source. The dimensions of the island is about 4′ 6″ x 9′ 3″ and the Kitchen is roughly 17′ x 18′ 6″. (via Martha O’Hara Interiors)
22. A Miami home showcases this beautiful contemporary white kitchen. The overall dimensions of the island is 15’D x 5’W. The knee space is 16″ and is supported by the cabinet below. Illuminating the dining portion of the expansive island is the Light Shade 95 + Chandelier by Jurgen Bey, from Moooi—Source. The wall backsplash surrounding the window is Calacatta Gold from Opustone. (via B+G Design)
23. This Philadelphia kitchen highlights a great attention to detail and an artistic flair. The island cabinet was custom designed by the designer. The color is Benjamin Moore—Evening Sky. The wood used on the island is Fir floor joists salvaged from an old building. To keep the countertop in prime condition, a wood wax is applied once a month—Source. The perimeter cabinets were sourced from the brand Ultracraft. The color is Stone with a Nickel Glaze.
The light fixture illuminating the island is vintage. Something similar can be sourced here. The ceiling is painted in Benjamin Moore—White Dove OC-17, while the walls are Benjamin Moore—Gray Owl 2137-60 Owl. The handmade cement tile backsplash is from Avente Tile in their Cuban Heritage Series. The island is about 42″x96″, while the kitchen itself measures approximately 12′ x 22′. (via Buckminster Green)
24. A fabulous transitional style home in Dallas, Texas features this amazing family kitchen. Two slabs of Via Lactea granite was used on the island countertop. While volakas marble was used on the perimeter counters and backsplash. Illuminating the island is the Maxim Lighting Matrix 8-light Satin Nickel Pendant—Source. The island measures 7 feet by 12 feet. The flooring is wide plank, American black walnut.(via Platinum Series by Mark Molthan)
25. A beautiful California home features this spacious island kitchen. Highlights includes a walnut countertop on the island with an integrated sink. The dimensions of the island is 4ft x 9ft. The flooring is reclaimed wood planks. (via Taylor Lombardo Architects)
26. A farmhouse in Houston, Texas showcases this beautiful kitchen. The island measures in at roughly 14′ x 5′. The dimensions for this space is approximately 26′ x 14′. The steel windows on this project were custom produced by a local fabricator. (via Dillon Kyle Architects)
You are reading an article curated by: http://onekindesign.com/
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE